I’ll be honest, there aren’t very many recipes that we have in constant rotation at our house. I would love to be one of those women who has a tried and true meal rotation, but that’s just not me. I typically only cook two-three meals a week, and it’s usually a lot of something so I do new/different things often so that we aren’t eating the same things constantly. However, this soup is 100% the exception. I make this savory, spicy Thai coconut shrimp soup once a month at least. For me, it’s a total year round comfort food. I NEVER get tired of it. I am not one who measures precisely in my cooking so it always ends up tasting a little bit different each time, but I always use the same punch packing ingredients. This soup is filled with so many rich flavors, it’s impossible not to love. You can throw just about any veggies in to beef it up and leave out the shrimp for a vegan meal that leaves you super full and satisfied. It’s budget friendly, whole 30, keto, and Orthodox fast approved! I promise, once you make this you’ll want to add it to your regular meal plan stat!
This particular recipe will make a moderately spicy version of the soup. Not enough to need to guzzle a gallon of milk, but just enough to open up your sinuses just a bit. 😉 If you aren’t used to spicy food like we are down here in Louisiana, I would recommend starting with 1tbsp of the curry and chili pastes and add more as your taste buds please. I’ll include the ingredients that can be found on amazon below the recipe. If you try this out and love it, let me know!
Thai Curry Shrimp Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 medium-large onion diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 lb mushrooms I prefer white button mushrooms
- 1 small bag of shredded carrots slicing your own baby carrots would work as well
- 1 lb shrimp
- 2 13.5oz cans of coconut milk
- 1 qt vegetable or chicken broth water will work as well, it'll just require extra salt/seasoning
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp each of red and green thia curry paste if you're not a fan of spicy food, start with 1 tbsp of each
- 2 tbsp red chili garlic sauce/paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- juice of one lime
- Start by heating oil in a large pot. I use a 7qt oval dutch oven.
- While oil is heating, dice onions. When finished, add diced onions and carrots to pot and saute until soft.
- As onions and carrots saute, thinly slice mushrooms and chop cilantro.
- Once onions and carrots are sauteed and soft, add in broth, coconut milk, and remaining ingredients except for shrimp.
- Bring everything to a simmer/soft boil for about 20 minutes, then add in shrimp. Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes or until the shrimp are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve over thai vermicelli rice noodles (our favorite!) rice, or any asian pasta. Ramen would work wonderfully, too. Or serve as is for a keto/low carb/whole 30.
My favorite noodles to go with the dish. This link is for a pack of 6.
My favorite dutch oven that I use almost every single time I cook.
The two items below are typically cheaper in your local grocery store, but I personally often have a hard time finding them in store.